Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-10 08:03:23

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 21:36:58 -0700, Carl Daniel wrote
> Jeff Garland wrote:
> > On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 17:37:07 -0700, Carl Daniel wrote
> >> Results from testing VC8 build 14.00.50727.42 were just uploaded.
> >> While the official release to manufacturing hasn't occurred yet,
> >> everyone I've asked inside Microsoft says that they expect this to
> >> be the final build before RTM. This is about 2 weeks newer than the
> >> "Release Candidate" that was handed out at the PDC.
> >

> > There's still a runtime failure in the date_time testlocal_time test
> > -- so I guess it may be time to spend more time looking at a work
> > around. Any chance I can get you to put this into the debugger and
> > send me a stack trace.
>
> I assume there's a single .exe that I could run under teh debugger
> to repeat this test? If so, just let me know which one and I'll see
> what I can do. Assume I no nothing about how the test framework
> works - and you won't be far off!

The executable should show up somewhere under the
BOOST_ROOT/bin/boost/libs/date_time/test/.../testlocal_time.test/

Although, I have to say I'm not finding the executable it just now...I'm
wondering if bjam is not deleting these automatically?

> > Also, there are 2 other tests that passed,
> > but are marked for failure because in previous beta's they've been
> > failing -- we'll need to watch those because in earlier releases they
> > wouldn't fail on every run...
> >
> > The other question, is what we should do with the deprecation
> > warnings:
> >
> > E:\cpdaniel\Dev\boost_regression\boost\boost/date_time/c_time.hpp(68)
> > : warning C4996: 'localtime' was declared deprecated
> > D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
> > 8\VC\INCLUDE\time.inl(114) : see declaration of 'localtime'
> > Message: 'This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider
> > using localtime_s instead. To disable deprecation, use
> > _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE. See online help for details.'
> >
> > Since these are standard interfaces that have been 'deprecated' I'm
> > tempted to say that since Boost believes in using interfaces in the
> > standard, we should set _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE in the config.
> > Downside is that this is a big hammer...so maybe it should be done in
> > the affected places. Bottom line is I don't believe these warnings
> > should appear just b/c you decide to use date-time in your
> > program...Thoughts?
>
> I'm on the fence, but I'd lean towards defining
> _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE by default. While their intentions were in
> the right place, I personally don't think the VC++ libraries team is
> going to make many friends with these deprecation warnings for
> standard-mandated functions.

Yeah, but after thinking about this somemore I think this would be generally
evil for Boost to do. If we set this globally, users that want to see these
warnings won't. So I'm thinking it will need to be localized...

Jeff

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com