Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Bronek Kozicki (brok_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-20 02:30:34

Robert Ramey wrote:
> Hmmm - that's a pretty sweeping statement. I havn't seen issues addressed
> by dynamic loading and unloading of code even addressed by any of the
> references you mention.
> For that matter I don't know if the are even addressd by the C++ standard.

no, it is not. And I would rather not address this problem the way you
do. If users are unloading pieces of their class definition from memory
(eg. class destructor function imported from a dynamic library), then
all objects of that type become unusable and I'd rather not touch them
AT ALL, instead of risking undefined behaviour . Memory leak is "worse
evil" than UB, because at least it is well defined.

> Nevertheless, this is currently being done by some users of the
> serialization library and the
> failure to forsee it created some bugs. In the course of fixing these
> bugs - (very hard to

I'd tell them not to unload dynamic library while it is still in use. If
they cannot solve this problem in the first place, they are doomed to
all other kind of problem - problems not connected to serialization that
you cannot solve.

B.

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com