Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Thomas Witt (witt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-22 17:48:19

Anthony,

Anthony Williams wrote:
> "AlisdairM" <alisdair.meredith_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> Anthony Williams wrote:
>>
>>> I guess it depends on your point of view. I always compile all my
>>> projects in some form of "release configuration", with more
>>> optimization and less debug info (except for Borland). Anything that
>>> doesn't work in that configuration is therefore unusable for me. I
>>> would be disappointed if boost shipped a library that claimed support
>>> for one of my compilers, but actually failed to work in a release
>>> build; I would naturally assume it was my code that was at fault and
>>> not the boost library.
>> I'm not disputing the value or necessity of the testing - I am
>> disputing the timing of adding a new test platform, which is
>> effectively what you are proposing.
>
> And that's where we differ --- I don't see it as a new test platform. If we
> say MSVC 7.1 is supported, and all the tests pass, as a user, I (at least)
> would assume that it would work in release builds. If this is not the case,
> then the library is broken, from my perspective as a user.

Please tag your tests with _release as previously discussed.

> I think we should have been running release mode tests all along.

All good and well. Unfortunately we didn't and now is not the time to
fix it. Please keep running the tests so that people can see and fix
issues. I am going to accept patches for this, but I am not going to
hold the beta/release for this.

Thomas

Release Manager

--