Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Bronek Kozicki (brok_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-02-04 16:50:00

David Abrahams wrote:

> I'm really sorry, but I just don't have the time to do anything like
> that right now. I am currently passing -lx120 to bjam and *not* using
> the "monitored" test option. I cc'd you because I suspected you might
> be the person who "wrote that part of the code," due to your expertise
> in this area. Only crashed tests produce these dialogs. I'm doing
> release mode testing. libs/iterator/test/filter_iterator_test is one
> of two that produce the dialog for me. I hope that gives you some
> information to go on.

the code to close alerts is "only" few months old, so if you are using
older build of boost you need new build. Now, the code has serious
limitation - it's unable to close windows displayed on desktop that is
different from the one bjam is runnig on. One might thing "surely all
asserts are displayed on the very same desktop as program that crashed"
but this would be mistake. Assertions are (often - depending on
compiler) dialog boxes displayed with option MB_SERVICE_NOTIFICATION or
MB_DEFAULT_DESKTOP_ONLY, which (through API magic) would display dialog
on interactive desktop. If bjam is not running on interactive desktop
(eg. because of screen saver or fast user switching or terminal
sessions), it won't be able to find and close assertion alert window -
because these two are different desktops. This is because of Windows
limitation - no one, not even administrator can reach windows on desktop
other than own. Well, I think there is way around - SYSTEM user probably
would be able to, but that requires rewriting whole functionality as a
system service. Or running bjam as SYSTEM and putting a little extra
code in there to iterate over desktops.

B.

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com