Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-15 13:36:14

on Thu Mar 15 2007, Roland Schwarz <roland.schwarz-AT-chello.at> wrote:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>> # Example usage:
>> #
>> # using python : 2.3 ;
>> # using python : 2.3 : /usr/local/bin/python ;
>> #
>
> Hmm, not sure yet what this means for regression testing on
> cygwin/mingw.
>
>> You can set up your user-config.jam so a bjam built under Windows will
>> can build/test both windows and cygwin python extensions. Just pass
>> <target-os>cygwin in the "condition" parameter to "using python..."
>> for the cygwin python installation.
>>
>> using python ; # windows installation
>> using python : : /usr/bin/python2.5 : : : <target-os>cygwin ;
>>
>> when you put target-os=cygwin in your build request, it should build
>> with the cygwin version of python:
>>
>> bjam target-os=cygwin toolset=gcc
>
> Does this mean, that invoking bjam with toolset=gcc from CMD.EXE
> (where gcc is the cygwin or more correctly: cygming version) will now
> build against the MSVC.DLL's by default? (I.e. pass on the -mno-cygwin
> switch to the compile and link stages).

No. IIUC if you want that, you still need to pass the flavor=mingw
option. In my opinion that should be automatically tied to target-os,
but that feature is outside my direct responsibility and not strictly
required for the release.

> Hmm, this would mean I should run my regression setup unaltered...?
>
> http://engineering.meta-comm.com/boost-regression/CVS-RC_1_34_0/speedsnail-gcc-d.html

That setup will not generate successful tests of Boost.Python with the
cygwin flavor of GCC, since you haven't got a "using python" with
<target-os>cygwin in the condition. Naturally, that would have to
refer to a cygwin build of Python, not the same one that's used for
your mingw tests.

Also, although that configuration *will* work for native windows builds,
note that the preferred way to configure Python is now to specify a
command, not a prefix directory as you have done. You can also leave
it out in most cases; when Python is installed on Windows, it creates
registry entries that can be used to find the installations.

         using python ;

ought to be enough.

--
Dave Abrahams