Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-09-14 11:11:59

Rearranging the Q&A...

Beman Dawes wrote:
> The regression testing script obtains the boost working copy for testing
> either by downloading a tarball or via an subversion update.

> As a developer, I prefer testers use the subversion approach because it
> ensures my latest svn commits are included in the test run.

Not true any more. The tarball generation is now on-demand. When the
testers use the tarball the server does an svn-export+tar+bz2, but does
it in a stream to reduce disk space use. Hence the tarball will always
have the latest changes when it's obtained.

> I'd also like to see the subversion approach become the default, rather
> than an option. Or better yet, could we eliminate the tarball approach
> completely?

No the tarball can't be eliminated. There are some testers that are
behind very restrictive firewalls and only have HTTP access. They can't
make SVN/WebDav connections, or at least with considerable more pain and
likely fragile setups.

> The svn approach is also more robust, because it eliminates the
> possibility of tarball creation failures.

There should no longer be tarball creation failures. Especially since
there isn't a long running process that generates them. And since the
creation is being done directly from the file system, instead of through
the svn webdav interface.

> This I encourage testers to use the subversion approach. It has several
> advantages for testers; it is quicker and uses less network bandwidth.

That is only true for incremental testers which do an svn update. For
full testers they get the code fresh each time AFAIK. So in this regard
the tarball uses less bandwidth since it does global compression without
the overhead of the web communications for svn.

PS. This is the tarball generation script
<http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/browser/trunk/tools/regression/boost_svn_export_archive.sh>.
And this is the web script that serves it up
<http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/browser/website/public_html/beta/development/snapshot.php>.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com