Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Nicola Musatti (Nicola.Musatti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-06 04:10:40

Rene Rivera wrote:
[...]
> Hm, we are going to have to be a bit more formal than that. We need some
> real criteria for deciding which testers and platforms can go from trunk
> to release. In the main list you seem to be suggesting that release
> testers need to have consistent frequent and hence stable test setups.

I would also suggest that exactly one tester is active on the release
branch for each release platform, with backups ready to takeover in case
of problems where possible.

> Some possible criteria:
>
> * Can run tests at least X times a day. Definitely once a day is
> minimal. But we could require twice a day to have results available
> roughly to cover US and non-US timezones, so people have fresh results
> during regular working hours.
>
> * The tester can guarantee they can be active (meaning they respond to
> emails within a few hours) on this list so we can resolve testing
> problems quickly.

In my opinion when tackling specific regressions the availability of a
tester to cooperate directly with the developer is even more effective
than rapid turnaround of complete tests.

Ideally platform maintainers should be identified who may be different
from testers and who are available to help developers in fixing problems
on platforms they don't have access to.

Cheers,
Nicola

--