Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Nicola Musatti (Nicola.Musatti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-19 14:22:50

Hallo,
I think it's evident to everybody that the recent changes to the test
library are causing the kind of trouble we all wanted to avoid this time
around. Using the whole of the Boost community as a testbed is not
acceptable, especially when we should be branching for release.

In my opinion the only sensible course of action is to revert once and
for all the test library to the state it was in, say, one week ago. Then
Gennadiy should create his own private development branch off trunk and
upload his new version there.

If there are bugs in the reverted version these should be reported on
Trac with reproducible testcases and evaluated one by one by the release
management team, whose members should have final say on which
changes/fixes to apply.

As soon as 1.35 is out Gennadiy should merge his development branch onto
trunk and we can all help him smooth out any remaining problem. I'm
aware that this may conflict with his work engagement and I can imagine
how frustrating this situation must be for him, but unfortunately I
don't see any other way out of it that looks reasonably safe. On the
other hand there are library authors that have been waiting for more tha
a year to see their work released.

Hopefully our being strict this time around will help ensure that future
opportunities to introduce disrupting change will come much more often.

Another thing, to everybody: don't work in isolation! Involve the
community in your personal plans at the earliest opportunity!

Cheers,
Nicola Musatti

--
Nicola.Musatti <at> gmail <dot> com