Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: JOAQUIN LOPEZ MU?Z (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-17 08:34:44

Hello,

Suppose I've got a test target in my Jamfile.v2 like this:

test-suite "whatever" :
    [ run foo.cpp ]

This generates a target with name foo, which as part of its
processing builds an executable named (in Win32) foo.exe.

Is there a way have a different name for the executable *without*
changing the target name?

Motivation: The target test_update, which is part of multi_index
test suite, is failing in the regression runner jrp-msvc8.0,
which operates under Vista:

http://tinyurl.com/2xrw5n

The reason is that Vista UAC is launching a window asking for
administrative rights to execute the test program, thus
blocking the process till a user press accept or cancel. After
much web digging I found out we're being hit by some UAC
heuristics that conclude that executable files containing the words
"install", "setup", "update" and such are installation packages
and thus need administrative rights (which we don't actually need
in our case):

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2007/06/uac/default.
aspx?loc=en#S6

So, I'm seeking ways to have the executable name, currently
test_update.exe, changed to something else without the
target name itself being modified. I can always modify the
target name, but this tends to create some messiness
in the regression output tables during the transition cycle
from the old to the new name.
John Pavel, the maintainer of jrp-msvc8.0, told me there's
some other test in another library with the same problem.

Thank you,

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com