Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Aleksey Gurtovoy (agurtovoy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-12-11 01:33:10

David Abrahams wrote:
> Neither the current Bitten output nor Boost's current standard
> regression testing tables provide an optimal UI for most Boosters'
> purposes.
>
> Rather that jumping right into thinking about UI details, I thought
> I'd open a discussion of what we need to be able to quickly learn by
> visiting one or more testing webpages. I've started a list of
> high-level questions (at the level of libraries, not individual test
> cases) below; hopefully with your participation we can come up with a
> fairly complete list, which I can post on a wiki page for reference
> while we do actual page design.
>
> I may be jumping the gun slightly, but as I write this down, it seems
> to boil down to only a few distinct questions for a given revision or
> revision range:
>
> * Which unexpected failures were introduced and/or removed?

Introduced and/or removed since the previous revision, or something
else?

> * Which library/platform combinations have unexpected failures?

... and regressions. Sure.

> * Which library/platform combinations have not yet been tested?
> * Which of those combinations had unexpected failures when last tested?

Sure.

> We would want to be able to filter these results to:
>
> * a set of libraries
> * a set of platforms, including an easy way to say "release platforms"
> * a repository revision range, including an easy way to say "HEAD"
>
> For example, a natural "overall health of Boost" display might be
> filtered to:
>
> * all libraries
> * all release platforms
> * the latest repository revision
>
> You could find out about the health of your own libraries by filtering
> to that set.
>
> Have I missed anything?

All the questions above are centered around failure tracking, which is
certainly one of the most important workflows the report pages should
facilitate, but it's not the only workflow.

You also need a "regular" view of the codebase health, showing all the
libraries with their status, whatever it is. The "failures" view(s) then
can be a filter on top of a regular view, similarly/in addition to the
other criteria you list.

Our old "new reports" prototype implemented this idea in the form of
what we called "Issues View":

http://engineering.meta-comm.com/boost/new/developer/summary-issues.html

[Click on either the "Release View" or "Full View" tab and back to see
the filtering at work].

--
Aleksey Gurtovoy
MetaCommunications Engineering