Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Jonathan Turkanis (turkanis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-07 13:45:23

Hi,

One area of the iostreams library that has always been difficult to test
is seeking within large files (> 2GB), since it seemed impolite for a
test to create a huge file on someone's system without asking, and the
test would likely fail regularly for lack of disk space.

However, there have been enough bugs related to large files that I would
like to encourage everyone who can afford a huge file (8GB) to be
created and removed during testing to define the bjam variable
LARGE_FILE_TEMP to the full path where such a file can be created.

On my systems (Windows XP and Fedora 8), the creation and removal of the
large file is practically instantaneous, except with the Borland
compiler versions 5.8.2 and later, which takes several minutes to
initialize the large file (not sure why). In the unlikely event that you
test on recent versions of Borland and have 8GB sitting around doing
nothing, you can define LARGE_FILE_KEEP instead of LARGE_FILE_TEMP, in
which case the large file will not be deleted and will be recreated only
when it becomes stale.

Thanks,

--
Jonathan Turkanis