Boost logo

Boost Testing :

Subject: Re: [Boost-testing] Trunk testing (general) and MSVC11
From: Christoph Macheiner (christoph.macheiner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-08-23 13:29:31

"Tom Kent" <lists_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 6:05 AM, Christoph Macheiner
> <christoph.macheiner_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> I am trying to setup a trunk test runner for MSVC11, and I have a few
>> issues:
>
> I've also got one of these coming up...its hacking through the first run.

Saw (when the site worked again) that there already is one up, so for now
I'll
stick to 64-bit tests only (which not seem to be overly prominent anyway).
When
time permits, I'll run the 32-bit tests as well for comparison (a little
difficult otherwise
because the other "nightly" runs seem to catch slightly different svn
revisions).

>> - How are the MSVC testers handling crashes (of which I had several
>> during
>> this first run)? By default, the JIT-debugger kicks in with a message box
>> which is obviously not good for an unattended run.
>
> Its annoying that they popup, but it doesn't seem to affect the
> tests...I'm assuming that the tester gets the errror code or just
> times out when this happens.

I have temporarily registered cdb as jit debugger (I want to create dumps
when
the tests crash). But good to know that there is a timeout after which the
test is
killed (I overlooked this at first).

>> - Even on a quite modern machine (quad-core processor, enough RAM),
>> "performance" is rather poor. I know this is quite a general statement,
>> but
>> without further ado, did anybody look into this? The above-mentioned
>> out-of-disk occured after about 7 hours, with the tests obviously still
>> not
>> finished. Point is, I can spare the night on my dev rigs, but if the
>> tests
>> take longer than say, 8 hours, I am out of luck. Especially when I want
>> test 32-bit and 64-bit.
>
> My VMs usually take ~12hrs to do the first build. After that, I set
> the --incremental flag and I get runs in 1.5-4hrs.

Yes, I read about the incremental option but to be on the safe side I'd
rather
run the full test. As mentioned in my other post, we'll see how long it
takes
with the -j bjam option.

--Christoph.

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com