Boost logo

Boost Testing :

Subject: Re: [Boost-testing] git, possible redundancy in run.py
From: Ben Pope (benpope81_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-09-22 23:16:23

On Tuesday, September 23, 2014 07:30 AM, Niklas Angare wrote:
> "Ben Pope" <benpope81_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> I'm no git or test infrastructure expert, but it looks to me like it
>> fetches submodules 3 times, once for develop and twice for master. If
>> I'm building master, shouldn't it just fetch master submodules a
>> single time?
>
> Yes, it's very inefficient.
>
>> In fact, when the pull is done, does it even matter whether master or
>> develop is checked out?
>
> I don't know the answer to that, but using pull seems like a bad idea to
> me. What pull does is fetch and then merge remote changes with local.
> But there should never be local changes in the tester repositories. And
> if there are, they should never be merged as that would cause the tests
> to silently run with those local changes.

Oh, it does a git reset --hard; git clean -fxd afterwards, but sure, the
merge part of pull seems unnecessary.

> In fact, even using local branches (specifically, remote tracking
> branches) is unnecessary because the regression scripts will never make
> commits. To eliminate pull and local branches, you just do "git fetch"
> followed by "git checkout origin/<branch>".

It looks like the current commands might be in the wrong order (should
we reset and clean before fetch/pull?), or slightly incomplete (should
we use submodule --recursive?), but in order to overcome problems, the
whole block is repeated.

I'm a git newbie, and the manual is insanity itself, so I'm struggling
to ascertain the correct sequence.

>> Also, if you can answer that question, perhaps you can answer this:
>> Can I run my master and develop tests from the same directory, I
>> currently have them separated, as that's how I did it with svn.
>
> Yes, you can. But if you use the patch_boost facility, you're more
> likely to run into this bug:
> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/10150

No patching for me, and I haven't touched the checked out directories.

OK, now that develop seems to be building, I might give that a go.

Thanks,

Ben

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com