From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-01 15:39:29

> Thanks Jeff et al for bringing us the additional resources for Boost. It
> comes at a good time given Boost's continued increase in popularity.

My pleasure. It's an easy way for me to give back.

> One thing that needs spelling out is the relationship between the boost web
> site and the wiki one.

Agreed. The Wiki came out of a discussion about user support and as such I
thought the main aim was to allow users to experiment, organize tips, etc. Of
course there is nothing stopping library developers from using the collaborative
facilities instead of trying to do everything via the mailing list and the
files.

> In particular, though I appreciate it is early days, I don't think the Wiki
> should be used to duplicate the navigation and content of the main boost
> site. Hence I'm not sure that the navigation bars buy anything (except the
> possibility of being out of sync with the boost site.). Nor do articles that
> just serve as links to the main web site.

I agree that we don't want to try and duplicate the main site content. However,
we may want to experiment with content that might, as Beman put it, eventually
become part of the main site. I consider the navigation bar an example of such
an experiment. I also think we will want lots of links to the main site since
tutorials and user stories will motivate people to go to the main site and look
at the "official details". So I don't understand how we can avoid having lots
of links to the main site. It will be up to the users to keep links correct.

> Organised snippets from the mailing list (ala cpptips with the guru/C++
> newsgroups) and additional real user FAQs would seem the most useful content
> to add to Wiki?

I agree with both. I (and a few others) have a small start, but it is the boost
users that will make it useful!

Jeff