From: John Liberty (libertyj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-09 01:26:49

I'd like to essentially downcast (to derived) from a base class with
virtual methods while preserving (and incrementing) the use_count..

for an upcast, I can simply assign a shared_ptr<Child> to
shared_ptr<Parent>. But for the downcast, I need to incorporate a
dynamic_cast<childType> to get what I want..

With an older compiler that didn't like member templates, the boost
conf would leave the internal pointer and use count as public, so I
wrote my own casting function..
However, the newer compiler doesn't give this public access, so I may
be stuck without modifying the header...

any thoughts?