From: doak87508 (jdoak_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-27 18:36:19

--- In Boost-Users_at_y..., Tom Matelich <tmatelich_at_z...> wrote:
> The first getting_started1.so contains all the symbols from all of
> the objects linked into it. The second one only contains the
> symbols from getting_started.o and the symbols from
> libboost_python.a which satisfy unsatified symbols of
> getting_started1.o. Linking shared library is like linking an
> executable, it only takes the symbols from archives that it needs
> to satisfy itself.
>
> The first question is why you want libboost_python.a. If it is a
> valid reason, then you need to find a way to get all the code you
> need out of it into the shared lib. The first would be to use ar
> to get all the objects out, then take those and put them into the
> shared library. The second would be to keep adding unsatified
> symbols to getting_started.o until getting_started1.so has
> everything it needs.

It appears that my desire to link using an archive instead of the
individual object files may have been self-misguided. This was simply
my interpretation of the documentation in
http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/building.html. Indeed, after your
explanation above, I cannot come up with a reason why I would
need/want to use libboost_python.a. I'll just plow forward linking
with the individual objects as that works like a charm.

Thanks for the clarification.

JD

<http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl>