From: Peter Simons (simons+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-03-13 05:07:55

Hi,

I have tried to build the current boost library as checked-out of the
CVS repository, but I failed miserably. For one, the build process
failed to recogize that Python is installed in /usr/local/python
rather than /usr/local. As a result, it didn't find the
python-specific include files either. I tried to set the appropriate
environment variables but failed. So I added the directory
/usr/local/python/include/python2.2 to CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH and then it
worked -- at least a little better than before.

Once the Python includes were found, the build process progressed to
actually linking some programs:

gcc-Link-action status/bin/config_test.test/gcc/debug/runtime-link-dynamic/threading-multi/config_test
status/bin/config_test.test/gcc/debug/runtime-link-dynamic/threading-multi/config_test.o: In function `boost_has_clock_gettime::f()':
/home/simons/projects/boost-current/libs/config/test/boost_has_clock_gettime.cxx:19: undefined reference to `clock_gettime'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Another failure was:

...failed gcc-Link-action status/bin/config_test.test/gcc/release/runtime-link-dynamic/threading-multi/config_test ...
gcc-C++-action status/bin/class_concept_fail_expected.test/gcc/debug/runtime-link-dynamic/class_concept_fail_expected.o
/home/simons/projects/boost-current/boost/concept_check.hpp: In member function
   `void boost::EqualityComparableConcept<TT>::constraints() [with TT = foo]':
/home/simons/projects/boost-current/libs/concept_check/class_concept_fail_expected.cpp:25: instantiated from here
/home/simons/projects/boost-current/boost/concept_check.hpp:265: no match for
   `foo& == foo&' operator
/home/simons/projects/boost-current/boost/concept_check.hpp:266: no match for
   `foo& != foo&' operator

Plenty of files failed to compile or to link, but I don't want to
flood the list with error messages.

So, first of all, is there any "right" way to tell the build process
where python is installed? Maybe I should start from the scratch from
there.

        -peter