From: bill_kempf (williamkempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-24 16:30:25

--- In Boost-Users_at_y..., "judoka1981" <johan.nilsson_at_e...> wrote:
> [Tried sending this through news://gmane.comp.lib.boost.user a few
> days ago, but it didn't seem to get through anywhere]
>
> Hi,
>
> I've started experimenting a bit with Boost.Thread, platform is
> currently WinXP / VC.NET.
>
> Just a question on the generated libraries and their names.
Wouldn't
> it be more convenient to put all resulting .lib files in the same
> directory, and distinguishing between debug/release versions by
> name, e.g.:

Yes, it would ;).

> libboost_thread.lib // release
> libboost_thread_d.lib // debug
> libboost_threadmon.lib // release threadmon
> ... etc ...
>
> and, when the libraries support static linking of the CRT also:
>
> libboost_thread_static.lib
> libboost_thread_static_d.lib

The current CVS snapshot does just this (including static linking to
the CRT). Unfortunately, it also doesn't work ;). (At least for the
Win32 platform. The files are simply renamed and moved, and this
breaks import libraries.)

> As it is now (Boost 1.27.0), it really is a bit awkward to use.
> Also, why not put all Boost library files in the same directory
> (e.g. BOOST_ROOT/lib) during build?

The real issue here is simply that Boost.Build isn't (yet) prepared
to do this sort of thing. There is work being done on this, though,
and as soon as Boost.Build fully supports this, Boost.Threads will do
what you (and I) want here.

Bill Kempf