From: Benjamin Han (yg-boost-users_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-28 18:04:22

Hi David - thanks for the tips. I still have some questions though.

David Abrahams wrote:
> "John Maddock" <john_maddock_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>> > I'm just trying to install Boost library under RedHat 7.2. I was
>> > following the build instructions found on the Boost website, but it
>> > seemed to fail for several targets.

>> > I'm wondering if it's because RH7.2 uses its version of gcc 2.96.
>
> That's part of your problem. 2.96 is not an official GCC release, and no
> 2.9x version seems to work properly with Boost.Python v1.
> Just set the GCC_ROOT_DIRECTORY variable to point at the root of your
> gcc-3.0.x installation. I am using
>
> jam -sGCC_ROOT_DIRECTORY=/usr/local -sBOOST_ROOT=<boost-root>
> -sTOOLS=gcc

RH7.2 installed both gcc3 and gcc under /usr/bin, so which directory should
I use here? The closest one I can find is
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-redhat-linux/3.1, but the gcc3 executable is not
there.

I checked out Boost from the CVS, and tried this and it didn't work (lots
of errors complaining missing gcc, and about Python, see below).

> libs/python/build/bin/libboost_python_static/gcc/debug/runtime-link-dynam
>> > ic/shared-linkable-true
>> > gcc-C++-action
>> > libs/python/build/bin/libboost_python_static/gcc/debug/runtime-li
>> > nk-dynamic/shared-linkable-true/types.o
>> > In file included from boost/python/errors.hpp:13,
>> > from boost/python/detail/call_object.hpp:8,
>> > from libs/python/build/../src/types.cpp:11:
>> > boost/python/detail/wrap_python.hpp:24:24: patchlevel.h: No such file
>> > or directo
>> > ry
>> > boost/python/detail/wrap_python.hpp:100:20: Python.h: No such file or
>> > directory
>
> This is a configuration issue; the build system can't find your Python
> installation. Again I'd suggest using the latest version of Boost from the
> CVS. One reason is that the build system is now much smarter about
> detecting your Python installation (or the lack thereof) and giving help
> about how to configure it. It will tell you which variables to set in
> order to point the build at the desired version of Python. You can force
> it to do that by typing:
>
> jam -flibs/python/build/__init__.py
>
> from the boost root directory. Another reason to use the CVS is that the
> CVS version of Boost.Python works much more-reliably with a wider range of
> compilers (2.9x isn't one of them, though).

Yes I tried this over the CVS version, still didn't work. Jam gave an error
message saying that I should specify ROOT_PYTHON, so I did and tried again
- failed. The problem is similar to the gcc one: there seems no single
Python directory where everything is under one roof (I set the variable to
/usr/lib/python2.2/ ).

Thank you again for your help,

Ben