From: hicks (hicks_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-06 06:18:03

      Choosing the EdgeList type

The EdgeList parameter determines what kind of container will be used to
store the out-edges (and possibly in-edges) for each vertex in the
graph. The containers used for edge lists must either satisfy the
requirements for Sequence <http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/Sequence.html> or
for AssociativeContainer
<http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/AssociativeContainer.html> .

        Time Complexity

In the following description of the time complexity for various
operations, we use E/V inside of the ``big-O'' notation to express the
length of an out-edge list. Strictly speaking this is not accurate
because E/V merely gives the average number of edges per vertex in a
random graph. The worst-case number of out-edges for a vertex is V
(unless it is a multi-graph). For sparse graphs E/V is typically much
smaller than V and can be considered a constant.

    *
    *

edge()

      The time complexity for this operation is O(E/V) when the EdgeList
      type is a Sequence <http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/Sequence.html> and
      it is O(log(E/V)) when the EdgeList type is an
      AssociativeContainer
      <http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/AssociativeContainer.html> .

Doesn't the above man entry mean that the edges of a vertex are already
ordered when using Assoc. Cont. ?
Or are you saying, "insert using sequence, then finally sort the
sequence before proceeding to next stage of usage" ?
That would be efficient for many applications, but doesn't look possible
off-the-shelf.

Craig Hicks