From: Jon Kalb (kalb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-06 10:42:00

At 7:07 AM -0700 5/6/02, Noel Yap wrote:
>--- Douglas Gregor <gregod_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> On Monday 06 May 2002 09:20 am, you wrote:
>> > My boss says he looked at the boost.org website
>> and found that we
>> > must pay a fee per unit sold for any produced that
>> uses the boost
>> > library. I say it is completly free, but I can't
>> find anything on the
>> > website to back me up. All I have to go on is the
>> copyright agreement
>> > at the top of each file.
>> >
>> > Is there something on the web site I can point him
>> to?
>> > TIA
>>
>> The Boost library license requirements
>> http://www.boost.org/more/lib_guide.htm#License
>>
>> state:
>>
>> "Must grant permission to copy, use and modify the
>> software for any use
>> (commercial and non-commercial) for no fee."
>
>I believe this is for those that want to /contribute/
>to the Boost project rather than those that want to
>/use/ the libraries.
>
>Noel

An interesting point. The reason, of course that, this requirement
exists is so that users may use the libraries without fee, but, as
Noel points out, this statement only implies that, it doesn't say it
explicitly.

The boost.org home page has the statement "The Boost web site
provides free peer-reviewed portable C++ source libraries." Perhaps
the word "free" should have a link to a page that explains what users
can and cannot do with Boost library sources (with some examples).

Or is there some statement about permissions that is directed to
users that I have missed?

Given the existence to clueless bosses and worse company lawyers I
don't think we can be too clear on this point.

--
Jon Kalb
Kalb_at_[hidden]