From: Luc Bergeron (bluc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-11 08:05:36

Greets,

I'm trying to use the boost::any component but i'm having problem with
it !!! I'm using it because I need a way to store parameters of
different type. That real fine but I can't retrieve the value from the
boost::any. This is what i've tried :

   std::string GetStringFromAny(const boost::any& val) const
   {
      std::string strVal;
      try
      {
         strVal = boost::any_cast<std::string>(val);
      }
      catch(boost::bad_any_cast &err)
      {
         std::cerr << err.what() << std::endl;
         return "";
      }
      return strVal;
   }

But I always have a bad_any_cast exception. From the documentation, at
leats what I understand of it, "If passed a value or reference, it
returns a copy of the value content if successful". Can someone point me
in the right direction as to how can I extract the value within a
boost::any type, I think i'm lost !!! :)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Luc.