From: kweeheong (tan.k.h_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-20 23:33:01

Hi,

I'm just learning about the BGL, and I've been sucessful in compiling
and learning with examples on my VC6 Windows machine.

I have a newbie question that someone with more knowledge of BGL might
be able to answer :
Q : Why does depth_first_search not accept a source vertex parameter,
while breadth_first_search do?

Is this just to be consistent with the historical definition of DFS?

However, depth_first_visit and breadth_first_visit both accept a
source vertex parameter.

It would seem that DFS is more useful ( output is more
deterministic ) if the source vertex can be specified, just like BFS.

Reference : ( from the online BGL documentation )
   template <class VertexListGraph, class P, class T, class R>
   void breadth_first_search(VertexListGraph& G, typename
graph_traits<VertexListGraph>::vertex_descriptor s, const
bgl_named_params<P, T, R>& params);

   template <class IncidenceGraph, class P, class T, class R>
   void breadth_first_visit(IncidenceGraph& G, typename
graph_traits<IncidenceGraph>::vertex_descriptor s, const
bgl_named_params<P, T, R>& params);

   template <class VertexListGraph, class class P, class T, class R>
   void depth_first_search(VertexListGraph& G, const
bgl_named_params<P, T, R>& params);

   template <class IncidenceGraph, class DFSVisitor, class ColorMap>
   void depth_first_visit(IncidenceGraph& g, typename
graph_traits<IncidenceGraph>::vertex_descriptor s, DFSVisitor& vis,
ColorMap color);