From: Stephen Jackson (stephen.jackson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-12 18:12:59

Mike Wilson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In Cygwin (version 2.125.2.10) I've tried to
> $ gunzip bjam.exe
>
> but get
> gunzip: bjam.exe.gz: not in gzip format
>
> (downloaded
> http://boost.sourceforge.net/jam-executables/bin.cygwinx86/bjam.exe.gz
> which was 143,050 bytes in size (x3 tries) )
>
> My WinZip (V8.1) can't read it either. In fact I can't seem to read several
> of the .gz files
> that can be downloaded (but I did manage the Windows .zip version).
>
> Can anybody give me a clue as to what is wrong ?
>

> Mike Wilson

143,050 bytes is the size of the _unzipped_ bjam.exe. The gzipped file
is 55693 bytes. If I recall correctly, there are combinations of
browers/applications/settings etc. that will gunzip automatically, and
it looks like that is what is happening.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Stephen Jackson
stephen.jackson_at_[hidden]