From: scleary_at_[hidden]
Date: 2002-11-22 10:01:59

The main problem with LGPL is the "relinking" clause, which requires any
distributer of a work that uses the library to allow the end-user to re-link
the executable with a different version of the LGPL'ed library. While this
makes sense for traditional libraries, it causes real problems when
templates get involved; think of what this means for template libraries
covered by the LGPL: in order to allow the user to relink with a newer
version of the LGPL library (which is the intent of this clause), the source
that uses the LGPL'ed templates must be distributed.

There is a second problem with the LGPL in its restrictions of modified
copies of the original source (i.e., you can't take an LGPL library, enhance
it, and then sell it).

This is not to imply that LGPL or GPL are bad choices for a project; I'm
working on a GPL project myself. But they don't fall under Boost's "totally
free" licencing guidelines.

If you want more info for your licencing decision, check out the Open Source
Initiative (http://www.opensource.org/).

        -Steve