From: William E. Kempf (wekempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-12-05 13:36:14

James Zappia said:
> I assume you mean boost::timed_mutex::scoped_timed_lock lock(mutex,xt)
> because I don't see a constructor that takes only a timed_mutex.

Yep. Typo. Sorry.

> That
> said, I agree that your way of doing it is better. Above you asked why
> I continue to use the syntax I do for locking the mutex in the thread.
> I want to immediately lock it, then in the main thread try to lock it
> for a finite amount of time. I can't do that with scoped_lock. Perhaps
> my strategy is wrong. I want to run a thread for only a specified
> amount of time. I can't afford to block on a join() to wait for that
> thread to finish.

I don't follow this. The test_thread can use a scoped_lock, while the
main thread uses a scoped_timed_lock. There's no reason to use the
scoped_timed_lock constructor which forces a non-timed lock in
test_thread. As for not being able to wait on a join... why not? What do
you expect to happen if you don't join?

>> 3) Is there a way I can cancel a thread if going out of scope doesn't
>> stop it?
>>
>>Not yet, but there will be. However, I'm not sure that what you want
>> to do is really to cancel the thread. It's hard to tell from this toy
>> example.
>
> What the application does is run a job (thread) that has a finite amount
> of time to finish. If it doesn't finish in that time it needs to send
> an alert and explicitly terminate the thread (because it can't be
> blocked with a join() unless it knows the thread is done). As stated
> above, perhaps my strategy of using the mutex to see if a thread ran in
> a given amount of time is wrong.

First, it would probably be better to use a condition to wait for an "I'm
finished" predicate, if for no other reason than it makes what you're
trying to do clearer. Second, arbitrarily killing a thread is nearly
always a bad idea, as it can leave the programs invariants in a broken
state. The cancellation mechanism that will be added to Boost.Threads
uses a cooperative model for this reason. Even with out cancellation
support, this should be trivial to implement for your specific case.
Third, I can't understand why you'd want to do what you're doing here.
Either what the thread does is something that the main thread doesn't have
to rely on, so there's no reason to wait at all, or it is something that
you have to rely on and MUST wait for the thread to complete (as in call
join()) even if you want said thread to complete within a given time
frame. Maybe you need to drop the toy example and explain precisely what
you want to accomplish here so that I can give better advice.

William E. Kempf