From: srivatsan raghavan (machinshin2002_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-12-08 18:33:18

--- "William Trenker <wtrenker_at_[hidden]>"
<wtrenker_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is a GCC option to save
> the C++ parse tree
> to a file? Or has anyone come across a C++ parser
> utility that does
> this? I'm building a Python extension for a library
> that has many
> .hpp files and I would like to try and automate the
> generation of the
> Boost.Python headers for this library.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

yes, i know of one called gcc-xml.. i don't know if
the project is still being worked on, but basically it
uses gcc's parser as a 1st phase and then takes the
parse tree that's generated and outputs an xml file (i
don't know if it has a schema or DTD available , it
didn't when i last looked, but the xml format it uses
is sufficiently simple that writing a DTD/schema
should be trivially simple) url here :
     http://www.gccxml.org/HTML/Index.html

last i checked it uses the gcc 3.0.4 source as the
front end parser, so it may be a bit lacking in terms
of advanced c++ features especially in the area of
templates :) ( as was gcc in general until 'round 3.2
anyway )
but that should help you out :)

--vat