From: Darin Adler (darin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-12-17 11:10:31

On Tuesday, December 17, 2002, at 06:44 AM, Michael Brinkmann wrote:

> Is there an elegant way to get the shared_ptr pointing to "this" from
> "this", which would be the solution to the fault?

Yes. There is a relatively new feature in the latest versions of
shared_ptr, shared_from_this.

The way you use it in Boost 1.29.0 is to the class you want to store a
pointer to inherit from boost::counted_base. You can use multiple
inheritance if you already have another base class. Then you can use
shared_from_this to turn a raw pointer to this class into a shared_ptr.
I expect this feature is going to be in future versions of shared_ptr,
but the name of the class you have to inherit from may change.

     -- Darin