From: William E. Kempf (wekempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-27 11:37:25

Markus Werle said:
> Beman Dawes wrote:
>

>> Use the naming conventions of the C++ Standard Library (See Naming
>> conventions rationale):
>>
>> * Names (except as noted below) should be all lowercase, with
>> words separated by underscores.
>> * Acronyms should be treated as ordinary names (e.g. xml_parser
>> instead of XML_parser).
>> * Template parameter names begin with an uppercase letter.
>> * Macro (gasp!) names all uppercase and begin with BOOST_.
>
> A hard burden You lay on developers.

It's not a burden.

> So maybe the code has to be piped through a
> code de-beautifier when it comes to a boostification.

That's a bit harsh. If *you* don't care for the style, you're welcome to
that opinion, but voicing it in this manner isn't going to help anyone to
agree with you.

> IMHO (UsingThisConventionHere == CommonPracticeElsewhere)

It's not common practice everywhere (I know of as many places that follow
the C++ standard naming conventions as those that follow what I'll call
"Java" naming conventions). But the important thing is that the whole
point of Boost is to be a test bed and development area for libraries that
*might* be considered for inclusion in the standard. As such, we have to
follow the standard naming conventions.

--
William E. Kempf