From: Douglas Paul Gregor (gregod_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-27 00:41:06

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Reed Hedges wrote:

> Hello, Has anyone else had this problem? I am trying to build a program
> that uses the boost_thread library (v. 1.30.0), but get this error
> repeatedly:
[snip errors o' plenty]
> VOS::AsyncConnect is my program's class.
> Setting -ftempate-depth-20 resolves the problem.
>
> This problem does not appear in Boost 1.29.0
>
> Any information is greatly appreciated.

17 is just an arbitrary limit on the instantiation depth. It's meant to
make sure the compiler terminates if instantiations would recursive
forever, but in practice 17 is too small a number for practical
metaprogramming. I suggest using -ftemplate-depth-99 and forgetting about
it: you'll know if there's a runaway instantiation (it doesn't happen
often).

        Doug

P.S. 17 is actually specified in the C++ standard, and it's quite the joke
because it's so very, very arbitrary and I think the justification of that
number has been lost to time :)