From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-04 15:19:51

"silvermangbs" <silvermangbs_at_[hidden]> writes:

> I looked at the website. The only mention of building bjam for
> gcc-nocygwin is with using build.bat.

You don't need to rebuild bjam for each toolset you want to use it
with; you only need a new version for each *platform* you want to use
it with [Rene, people keep making this mistake; would you mind
updating the documentation to make this clear? -- thanks!]. Any
compiler that works on that platform will do.

On windows, the Windows command-line and the Cygwin shell are
essentially two separate platforms. Note that gcc-nocygwin doesn't
appear in the list of supported toolsets for building bjam under
Cygwin, only for building bjam under Windows.

> So, I ran (from a cygwin command
> line)
>
> build.bat gcc-nocygwin
>
> and, it failed while trying to build fileunix.o, as follows:
>
> ###
> ### Using 'gcc-nocygwin' toolset.
> ###
>
> C:\cygwin\home\GregSilverman\boost\boost_1_30_0\tools\build\jam_src>rd
> /S /Q bootstrap.gcc-nocygwin
>
> C:\cygwin\home\GregSilverman\boost\boost_1_30_0\tools\build\jam_src>md
> bootstrap.gcc-nocygwin
>
> C:\cygwin\home\GregSilverman\boost\boost_1_30_0\tools\build\jam_src>gcc
> -mno-cygwin -o bootstrap.gcc-nocygwin\jam0.exe command.c compile.c
> execnt.c execunix.c execvms.c expand.c filent.c fileos2.c fileunix.c
> filevms.c glob.c hash.c hdrmacro.c headers.c jam.c jambase.c jamgram.c
> lists.c make.c make1.c newstr.c option.c parse.c pathunix.c pathvms.c
> regexp.c rules.c scan.c search.c subst.c timestamp.c variable.c
> modules.c strings.c filesys.c builtins.c pwd.c
> fileunix.c:88:17: ar.h: No such file or directory
> fileunix.c: In function `file_archscan':
> fileunix.c:205: storage size of `ar_hdr' isn't known
> fileunix.c:214: `SARMAG' undeclared (first use in this function)
> fileunix.c:214: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> fileunix.c:214: for each function it appears in.)
> fileunix.c:215: `ARMAG' undeclared (first use in this function)
> fileunix.c:226: sizeof applied to an incomplete type
> fileunix.c:226: sizeof applied to an incomplete type
> fileunix.c:227: `ARFMAG' undeclared (first use in this function)
> fileunix.c:252: sizeof applied to an incomplete type
> fileunix.c:283: sizeof applied to an incomplete type
>

> Is there some other way to build bjam for gcc-nocygwin?

You don't build bjam *for* a toolset; you build it for a platform
*with* a toolset. If you want to build from Cygwin (with any
supported toolset), you can just use the gcc toolset to build bjam.
And don't use build.bat unless you want a Windows-hosted bjam. If
you really want to build from Cygwin, use build.sh.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting