From: jhr.walter_at_[hidden]
Date: 2003-05-12 01:55:31

Hi Ian,

you wrote:

> When i try to compile the code in listing 1 below using MSVC7.1 i get a
> whole host of errors of the same form as that given in listing 2. I've
> looked around on google but either i'm not concentrating or this issue
> hasn't come up yet.

John Maddock reported and explained this problem to me some time ago
(thanks!) and I've (hopefully) implemented a *ugly* workaround for it. The
problem is due to the questions of DR 135 and its (new ;-) interpretation
through MS. The correct solution probably would be to separate class member
declarations and definitions, but then the code probably wouldn't work with
MSVC 6.0 anymore :-(.

> I've also had a quick look in boost/format but would
> rather not hack around with stuff i don't know. Does anyone know what i
> need to do to get this working?

You can download one of the newer version from
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ublas-dev/files and try to enable

// #define BOOST_UBLAS_NO_NESTED_CLASS_RELATION

in the MSVC section of ublas' config.hpp. But be aware that you're probably
one of the first to give this a try ;-)

[snip]

Thanks,

Joerg