From: Jim.Hyslop (jim.hyslop_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-21 09:48:56

adutoit [mailto:adutoit_at_[hidden]] wrote:
> I know I said I will not return soon, but I finally realised
> that stupid
> Visual C++ is to blame for my original compilation error, not
> anyone from
> Boost or the Intel compiler writer team.
>
> For some reason, the order in which you specify include paths
> (for crying
> out loud!) matters in Visual C++!!!
Er, Visual C++ is not alone in this behaviour. The compilers I'm familiar
with all behave that way - the directories are searched in the order they
are specified. When a match is found, the search stops. The same logic
applies when using LIB to find libraries, PATH to find executables, and so
on. Why should INCLUDE behave differently?

Think about it - you have two different header files with the same name: the
standard ones shipped with VC, and the StlPORT. How else would you expect
the compiler to behave? Pick the last one it finds? Pick one at random? Spit
out an error?

--
Jim