From: Joel de Guzman (djowel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-18 06:40:08

David Brownell wrote:
> I am trying to run the hello.World class example in the tutorial and
> am running into problems. I can compile the dll fine, and then copy
> the dll (and the boost_python.dll) into my python directory, and then
> start my Python interpreter. The library will import, but when I
> call either the greet or set methods, I get the following errors from
> within the Python interpreter:
>
> [greet]:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "<interactive input>", line 1, in ?
> TypeError: unbound method Boost.Python.function object must be called
> with World instance as first argument (got str instance instead)
>
> [set]:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "<interactive input>", line 1, in ?
> TypeError: unbound method Boost.Python.function object must be called
> with World instance as first argument (got nothing instead)
>
> I am failrly new to Python and even newer to Boost.Python, so there
> may be something very basic that I am missing. I am using boost
> 1.30, bjam to compile, MSVC 7.1, Python 2.2, and Windows XP. Note
> that I can compile and successfully execute the inital Hello World
> example (hello.cpp in the tutorial subdir).

Hi David,

FYI, Boost.Python has its own mailing list. It would be nice to see you there ;-)

Anyway, I'm a bit lost. Could you please copy and paste the exact Python
session? Have you tried the example session in the tutorial?:

>>> import hello
>>> planet = hello.World()
>>> planet.set('howdy')
>>> planet.greet()