From: Alexander Terekhov (yg-boost-users_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-27 17:50:25

"William E. Kempf" wrote:

> Pavol Droba said:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have problem with boost.threads on linux ( under gcc ).
> > I have a multithreaded aplication using Boost.Thread. It works just
> > fine.
> >
> > However, I want to make a daemon out of it. So I tried to fork() at the
> > start of the program and run all the relevant code ( including all
> > threading ) in the child process. But when I do so, first call to
> > create_thread hangs the process.
> >
> > I'm quite new to linux threading, so it is possible, that the problem is
> > not related to Boost.Threads.
>
> Several comments:
>
> 1) I'm not a POSIX/Linux developer either.
>
> 2) Since fork is non-standard and not part of Boost.Threads, you're
> technically in undefined territory as far as Boost.Threads is concerned.

POSIX says "to avoid errors, the child process may only execute async-
signal-safe operations until such time as one of the exec functions is
called". As long as "create_thread" isn't async-signal-safe operation,
he's in clear violating of POSIX "recomendation". Well, "long story":

http://google.com/groups?selm=Ri_h9.10%24kX4.297082%40news.cpqcorp.net

regards,
alexander.