From: Jason Winnebeck (yg-boost-users_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-11 07:48:35

I recently decided to refactor my library's API using the benefits given
by boost::shared_ptr, so this now means my library uses boost. I'm
trying to figure out how my installation process should go.

Since I'm only using shared_ptr I've trimmed down a custom boost version
that is only a few hundred k (rather than 10 megs) of just the files
that I use. I've put the minimum boost files in my own directory
structure so that my library can compile on its own. But when using the
library, then what would the user do?

Ideally I could have the installer for my library by copy the files to
the compiler's include directory, but that's not particularly nice,
espically since Boost is quite a popular library, and I don't want to
litter up their include directory and most espically not overwrite any
installation of Boost they have placed there.

One thing that might work, if compilers support include directory
"overrides" is if the user is using the full Boost library, to place its
-I line before (or after?) the -I for my library, so that they can see
my includes, but any boost includes will be "overridden" by their full
version of Boost.

But this leads to another question: If I compile my library with Boost
x but the user has Boost y installed when he links with my library (I DO
pass shared_ptr back and forth between user code, so it's not just used
internally), what will happen? The shared_ptr interface seems to be oft
changing, and so right now my code would only compile for Boost 1.30 (or
later? Speaking of that, anyone know why there are no files listed for
download for Boost 1.30.1 but it was announced a week ago?).

I'm new to these things so I appreciate any feedback or answers you
have. The library is just an open-source library I'm writing on my own
free time, and I don't have a lot of experience from using/installing
commercial C++ libraries to draw upon.

Jason Winnebeck