From: Johan Nilsson (johan.nilsson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-25 02:01:54

"Rene Rivera" <yg-boost-users_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> In article <bi2ah3$cko$1_at_[hidden]>,
> "Johan Nilsson" <johan.nilsson_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just tried to compile boost.thread under OpenVMS and got it working
> > mostly fine, with a few quirks. I'm using Boost 1.30.2 and DEC C++ 6.5
under
> > OpenVMS Alpha 7.1-1H1. OpenVMS provides a compliant(?) pthreads
> > implementation. Note that I did _not_ use Boost.jam (I did try, but
couldn't
> > get it going).
>
> bjam not working on OpenVMS is entirely an access problem. Non of the
regular
> Boost developers have access to OpenVMS on a regular basis. If anyone is
> interested enough there's only a small amount of work to get it going,
with
> help from OpenVMS people of course ;-)

The major point here wasn't really bjam not working under OpenVMS, it was
that Boost.Thread sources weren't compiling (wrong forum?). Mentioning
OpenVMS in the ng:s always seems to be a mistake though as no one seems to
look in the contents of the posting - or maybe it's just me being too
verbose.

Anyway, the bjam bootstrap compiles but blows up due to access violation
when trying to execute "-fBuild.jam" - probably related to usage of
functions not linked in. I'll definitely look into to it and give some more
comprehensive description of the problem, but I'm choked for at least a week
here with other stuff. With regards to build.jam though, and the
'build-tool' (IIRC) rule, I can say that definitions of define's and include
paths must be specified in the form of (something like):

/INCLUDE=(dir1, dir2, dir3, ...)
/DEFINE=(sym1,sym2=val2, ...)

(hence the usage of HDRS and DEFINES in perforce jam). Using one of these
more than one time results in only the latest being used. This is all from
on top of my head, so the exact details might not be correct.

I'll post on the boost.build list as soon as I can get some time to work on
this. If you have any specific questions, feel free to mail me directly.

Thanks for listening.

// Johan