From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-02 05:58:01

> we're using Boost 1.30.0 with MSVC7.1 on a Win32 platform.
> Currently where working on a port to a Win64 platform using the MSVC7.1
for
> IA64 compiler. (13.10.2240.8 for IA64)
> I just compiled the code as is and unfortunately I encountered errors in
> boost headers.
> This probably is because of missing/bad defines for this 'unknown'
platform
> in the config headers...
> I was wondering if somebody already tried to compile boost on a 64 bit
> platform, and if he/she succeeded?
> Or if there are known implementation details which would cause boost
'never'
> to work on 64 bit platforms?

No it should be fine.

> If there are no known 'showstoppers' then I suppose I'll have to go
through
> the Boost Configuration Reference or should I look somewhere else?

First check the output from the config_info program - that will tell you
what is being detected at present - plus which config headers are in use.

Then try building config_test, and add defines to the config system intil it
builds (and let us know the result).

Finally try running the Boost regression tests - Boost + VC7.1 currently
passes all the tests, so there is no reason why the same should not be true
on IA64. There may be some compiler/platform specific fixes in some places
that need updating though.

John.