From: Leo Landa (leo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-03 18:19:44

Good day to everyone,

I am trying to find a portable enough implementation of remove_pointer
(MSVC 6, MSVC 7.1, G++ 2.95.3, G++ 2.96). The "usual" template
technique relies on partial template specialization, which MSVC 6.0
does not support. As far as I can tell, Boost's version of
remove_pointer is a little bit of a "cheat" - i.e. it becomes
predefined only for primitive types. Am I right about that? I'm a bit
of a newb in these parts of London ;-)

If this is true, then I'm screwed - and I can't convert a generic
pointer type to the pointee type. If it is not true, then what is the
technique?

Leo.

P.S. Just in case - I know how to figure out _whether_ the type is a
pointer, and now just trying to strip it.