From: Marton Fabo (morton_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-20 14:24:55

>> This is way too much. I'm not using any so that much advanced stuff
>> that it would be justified - and the compilation time is inacceptable
>> for such a small app.
>>

> Just out of curiosity, why is compilation time a big deal? I understand
> being concerned about the size of the final executable, but how often
> are you compiling? (and if it's that often, why?).

Sometimes. It's a maturing program with maturing specifications. I, of
course, need to make a lot of modifications, and test their effect, not
just code blindly. So I have to compile often.

And, just to add to the problem, because of the ever changing
expectations, there are a lot of header modifications, which naturally
cause recompilation of all the affected units - even slower test cycle.

I'm not sure about that the progress bottleneck really should be code
bloat caused by a library - or that it should force me to perform a
different programming cycle style. Additionally, that (less frequent
compiling and testing) wouldn't fix, just work around the problem at hand.

mortee

PS: to prevent that argument early: I don't really need advices telling
me to stop using boost if it causes problems - I can deduce that if/when
necessary too...