From: Weston Markham (wmarkham_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-20 17:35:29

It strikes me as odd that waiting on a condition variable is not const. It
seems to me that, although one does expect the condition variable to change
state, one is not actually requesting the change, but instead is merely
detecting a change made by another thread.

I can understand that, internally, the condition variable is probably
keeping lists of waiting threads, which would need to be modified in order
to satisfy the wait() call. From the point of view of the calling code,
however, I think that this is irrelevant.

Is there some other sense in which calling wait() can be considered to
modify the condition variable?

Weston Markham