From: Tom (tom_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-21 16:14:03

"Douglas Gregor" <gregod_at_[hidden]> wrote in message news:200310211529.11274.gregod_at_cs.rpi.edu...
> On Tuesday 21 October 2003 03:09 pm, Tom wrote:
> > It appears that there is a new variant library (boost::variant), but that
> > it has been delayed.
> > Also, there is the old boost.any library.
> > And CUJ has a simple, ref-counted one here
> > http://www.cuj.com/documents/s=8034/cuj0010cacciola/cacciola.htm.
> > Also, CUJ has an article about boost::dynamic_any.
> >
> > Which should I use?
> > I want to use one of the boost libraries, but I would like something small
> > - meaning it won't addmuch to the size of my executable. Most boost
> > libraries I can't use because they are too big (due to dependencies I
> > assume).
>
> Well, it depends on your needs. Is the set of types that might go into the
> variant known at compile time? If so, use boost::variant. If the set of types
> is not known at compile time, you can use boost::any or dynamic_any (the
> latter is not yet a Boost library, and is still in development).
>
> Doug

The set of types is known, so I will use variant. But where do I get the latest variant code? It is around, but it isn't listed on the libraries page. The 'beta libraries' link on the libraries page seems to be broken (doesn't take me anywhere). Has the variant library been rejected? Is there a library status page?

Thanks,
Tom