From: Steve M. Robbins (steven.robbins_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-25 16:12:51

Hi,

I've a question for the drafters of the Boost Software
License - Version 1.0 - August 17th, 2003.

Put yourself in the position of someone who wants to redistribute
a modified version of Boost. For example, the linux distributors
like Debian.

The license begins with the permission grant:

    Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person or
    organization obtaining a copy of the software and accompanying
    documentation covered by this license (the "Software") to use,
    reproduce, display, distribute, execute, and transmit the
    Software, and to prepare derivative works of the Software, and to
    permit third-parties to whom the Software is furnished to do so,
    all subject to the following:

    [... a restriction and a disclaimer paragraph ...]

As I read this, "the Software" means "the unmodified tar or zip
file obtained from boost.org". Is that correct?

I'm permitted to "prepare derivative works of the Software", but the
license doesn't specify what I may do with my derivative works.

Clearly, I may distribute "the Software", but may I distribute
the derivative work?

Some licenses (e.g. the BSD and the GPL) make it clear that the terms
apply to both the software and to derivative works. Shouldn't the
boost license do likewise?

-Steve