From: Ben Hutchings (ben.hutchings_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-28 11:37:57

Sven Van Echelpoel wrote:
> I'm having a strange problem when I try to include boost::regex in my
> project (VC6.5 on Win2K). I'm not using Build to build a separate
> regex dll but rather include the source files directly in the project
> (or rather in a small utility static library). I've defined
> BOOST_REGEX_STATIC_LINK to avoid __declspec( dllimport ) / __declspec(
> dllexport ).

Are you sure that that's defined for all translation units that use or
implement Boost.Regex?

> Although everything compiles just fine the linker complains that it
> cannot find the library boost_regex_vc6_mdsd.lib. Further
> investigation revealed that it is actuallty listed somewhere as an
> additional default library (the linker outputs this when you switch
> on link progress messages). Searching through the sourcecode for
> #pragma comment( lib, ... ) and #pragma comment( linker, ... )
> directives came up empty as did a search for boost_regex_vc6_mdsd.lib
> in all sources and headers.

It's in "boost/regex/v3/regex_library_include.hpp".

> I got it to link by letting the linker ignore
> boost_regex_vc6_mdsd.lib.
> Even so I still would like to know where this is comming from. Any
> ideas?

I know I had some kind of problem with the above-mentioned header
generated the wrong library name when I first started using
Boost.Regex so I disabled the header by defining its guard macro
before including "boost/regex.hpp". However, I removed that just
now and didn't have any problems.

Have you created your own project definition which uses a different
library name? It's probably easier just to use the makefile
(vc6.mak) in Visual Studio. You can do this by selecting
"Insert Project into Workspace", selecting "vc6.mak" from the build
directory, and thus creating a project that calls nmake on the
makefile. Then you just need to edit the project settings to
specify what the target names are for each configuration.