From: Jorg Brown (jorg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-11-11 14:25:03

Matt -

The corrected code is indeed much better. May I suggest using
std::vector instead of vector?

The typedef of FooPtr is fine, it turns out; it's the typedef of struct
Foo that was the problem. I had declared Foo within main as well, and
that blocks the use of boost::shared_ptr on it. As long as Foo is
declared at global scope, all is well.

As for the correct output, my compiler gives me 3, then 2, then 1. I
talked it over with a friend, and I guess the order of the 2 vs 1 is
undefined, and depends on your STL's implementation of std::vector.

As for the crazy aunt in the basement, the comment was meant for an
internal list that only 20-30 people are on, not meant for general
consumption, and probably merits an extra thread by itself. Put simply,
using boost can generate a surprising amount of code and overhead. This
is true of STL as well. There are even some good books describing STL;
I happen to like Plauger/Stepanov/Lee/Musser, as well as Jasoutis. But
nowhere do I see any reference as to what the downsides are - and
nowhere do I see any concise explanation of why an enormous amount of
code (660 bytes in an optimized, no-symbols build) is generated when I
say something as simple as

void Testbed(void) {
   boost::function<void> SimpleFPtr(&Testbed);
}

When you say "I was trying to generate interest in these libraries and
thus didn't want to focus too much on the negatives", I can understand
your point of view, but what I see in real life is that people start
using boost::function everywhere they used to use plain old function
pointers, with nary a clue that their code size just exploded with no
benefit.

But like I said, it's worth a whole other thread.

Thanks for fixing the code and responding so quickly!

jorg