From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-31 09:55:27

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:48:20 -0700, Michael Buksas wrote
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having newbie problems with linking against Boost libraries. Here's
> the situation:
>
> I can build the boost libraries without problem, and I'm using the
> default toolkit for my system, (Fedora Core 1) which is g++.
>
> Compiling is no problem, just linking. I can link the object files by
> hand, but not as part of using Boost.build.

First off, what version of bjam and boost are you using? I'm going to assume
version 1.30.2 of boost.

> As a test, I grabbed an example program from the date_time library
> and it's corresponding build rule. This code compiles fine as part
> of Boost, but if I move it to my project space, I get linking errors.
>... details omitted...
> So things are compiling, but not linking.
>
> I must not have the configuration for Boost.build correct, but I've
> tried everything I can think of. Any help would be appreciated.

I think that bjam isn't that great at compiling outside of the boost directory
tree in the 1.30.2 version (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm offbase
here :).

Here's what I do on Linux. I go into libs/date_time/build and run bjam. You
will see a bin/libboost_date_time.a/gcc/... directory appear. If you troll
down the directory eventually you will find the libboost_date_time.a file.
Then I copy this file into a well known location like BOOST_ROOT/bin and then
simply include that into my makefile using -L and -l.

I believe in the next release there is some sort of bjam --install option that
will do all this for you, but I don't know the details. You might want to
post on the Jamboost list about that:

http://www.boost.org/more/mailing_lists.htm#jamboost

HTH,

Jeff