From: Victor A. Wagner, Jr. (vawjr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-16 19:58:21

I argued vociferously for semaphore and lost. Apparently they seem to
think that mutex is a simpler function than semaphore (and they consider it
"safer").
I have no idea what POSIX calls it, but semaphore is wait and signal (at
least according to the man who invented them... well he called them P and V)