From: Ben Hutchings (ben.hutchings_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-26 13:09:02

Darryl Green <Darryl.Green_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Cross posted from boost-users...

(Disclaimer: IANAL, and any reputable lawyer would take plenty of time
to provide you with considered advice.)

My understanding is that executable or object code is a derivative
work of all the source code that it is built from. So any executable
that uses a library is a derivative work of that library. (There is a
question as to whether this applies to header files that only define
named constants and structure layouts, but little question that it
applies to inline and statically-linked function definitions. The
FSF asserts that using dynamically-linked function definitions also
creates a derivative work.)

Your source code, however, does not become a derivative work of a
library that it depends on, unless you copy part or all of the
library's source code into it.