From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-26 15:32:19

At 04:48 AM 2/26/2004, Gustavo Sánchez wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am newbie in Boost libraries, and I'm specially interested in Graph
>Library (BGL). I'm working with VC++ 6.0 and I have a couple of questions

>about usign the library under this SDK.
>
>Of course I've read the Boost documentation and I know VC++ 6 doesn't
pass
>the regresion test but I'm doubty about the compilation process. Those
are
>the steps I followed:
>
>1.- I did the outlined comands in getting started

>Why aren't there any .dll file of the others libraries(graph, math,
>type_traits...)???

Many boost libs including these are implemented entirely in their headers.
So there is no need to build object libs.

>2.- I executed bjam in directory: BOOST_ROOT\libs\graph\test

If you are just planning to use the BGL in your own projects, you don't
need to learn how to use bjam. Just start using the BGL headers via the
usual IDE settings.

Note that while VC++ 6.0 is so old and decrepit that it has a lot of
trouble with the BGL and other modern template libraries, it does work with
at least some of the simpler use cases.

That's a trap in one way, however. You will have a lot of trouble telling
if you have made a mistake or if the compiler is just messing up.

If you can't afford to upgrade to VC++ 7.1, which is 1000% better with
templates in general and Boost code in particular, you might consider using
GCC since it is also a modern compiler and free too. Consider
www.cygwin.com since it provides a complete package ready to go in the
Windows environment. You don't have to run the bash shell; cygwin works
fine from the regular Windows command line.

--Beman