From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-21 18:47:37

Bob Kline wrote:
> We're using Boost's regex package in a Windows environment for a
> server built with Microsoft Visual Studio 7.x. We'd like to be able
> to build our server with debugging symbols for our own code, but
> still use the release versions of the Microsoft runtime DLLs (because
> the debugging versions of the Microsoft runtime DLLs aren't
> redistributable, so we can't legally install them on our production
> server).

Why would you want to install the debug versions of a DLL on a production
server ? If you are just testing your version on your own server, rather
than distributing it to clients, I am sure MS wouldn't mind you installing
the debug versions of their runtime DLLs on your own server for testing
purposes. If you are distributing your code to clients, surely it must be
right to be distributing the release and not the debug version to others.

I am not the maintainer of Regex, John Maddock is, but the DLL is built to
match up the debug version of the DLL with the debug version of the RTL and
the release version of the DLL with the release version of the RTL. This
seems completely normal to me while what you are asking seems very odd. I
think you need to hack the source for your own use in order to match up a
debug version with a release RTL.